How do I register arrangements or adaptations?

When the lyrics and/or composition of a work are changed, we call this an ‘arrangement’. The changes in lyrics or composition turn the arrangement into a new song, for instance a classical version of a song. A musical work that has been translated is also an arrangement. When you arrange or adapt an existing work, you always need permission from the publisher or the rightsholder of the original work.

Only publishers can register arrangements in MijnBumaStemra at the moment. Composers and songwriters can submit their adaptations or arrangements using a CTB form. This must be returned to us by post, along with proof that you have obtained permission from the original rightsholders.

If the original rightsholder has given permission, then you can claim an arranger copyright share (up to 16,67%).

Would you like more information about covers and arrangements? Then check out the Your arrangements, covers and remixes – BumaStemra page.