Using music in audiovisual productions

Licentie Using music in audiovisual productions

Music whenever and wherever, no fuss. Whatever music you choose, a licence from BumaStemra gives you unlimited use of music from the Netherlands and around the world.  We’ll help you get the licence that suits your needs. As a non-profit organisation, we make sure music creators get paid for their songs, so you can focus 100% on your business.

Sync licensing involves the use of commercial music in various audio-visual productions, such as films, advertisements, video games, and more. To utilize music in your production or product, you must first obtain permission from the rights holders and agree on the associated fee. The author must first give permission before someone else may use their work, for example, in an audiovisual production. If that permission is granted, the owner can request a financial compensation for it.

How much does it cost?

The amount of the fee to be paid depend on the type of music and the type of production. Using music in audio visual productions you will need permission and pay financial compensation according to what type of music you use, which is divided into three categories:

  • hit repertoire,
  • library music,
  • and music commissioned for the production.

In addition to the synchronisation within the production, you might also want to publically publish the production. Permission is required for the public performance of music, whether it’s on the radio, television, the internet, in cinemas, at a trade show, or within the company for which the audiovisual production was created. In the Netherlands, you can obtain this permission through Buma. For public performances outside of the Netherlands, an arrangement must be made with the copyright organization in that particular country.

More info?

If you have questions about applying for a licence, please contact us on +31237997828 or