Filing a complaint as a music user

We always do our best to help you effectively, but sometimes this is not possible. If you’re not satisfied with BumaStemra, please let us know and we will be happy to work things out. You can file a complaint with us if things are still not handled to your satisfaction. We will review your question or request and try to find a solution.

How do you file a complaint?

If you have a question or problem, first contact the department dealing with it. You can find a list of departments below. If an agreement can’t be reached, you can file a complaint. We will address your complaint as soon as possible and try to resolve it.
Please submit your complaint to us by email to If you prefer to write to us, you can send your complaint to:

Attn. Legal Affairs
Postbus 3080
2130 KB Hoofddorp

You’ll receive confirmation of receipt from us by email within three working days. This email will also contain the complaint number. Always include this number when speaking to us about your complaint or sending additional information.

When we deal with your complaint, we will look at earlier solutions, check whether mistakes were made and propose another solution.

You will receive an email from us with the proposed solution or our decision about your complaint. If you also want to receive this by post, please let us know.

What should I include with my complaint?

To resolve your complaint quickly and effectively, we need as much information as possible. Please contact us if you are unsure about what you need to send. We can help you decide what information is important to resolve your complaint. The following information should always be included:

  • Your name, address and place of residence.
  • Your phone number and email address.
  • If necessary: the name and registered office of the company, institution or association/foundation you are representing.
  • Your BumaStemra member number, if you have one.

How long will it take to process my complaint?

We will do our best to resolve your complaint within a month. The month starts from the time we receive your complaint. However, if the complaint is complicated, that timeframe might not always be possible, and it may take two months. We will keep you updated about the status of your complaint.

Complaint about administration or invoice

Is your complaint about an administrative process or do you disagree with an invoice from BumaStemra? You should first contact the department that deals with this. Please do this within three months of receiving the invoice.
Good to know: You still need to pay the invoice. If it later turns out that something was incorrect, we will rectify it for you as soon as possible.

Contact details of BumaStemra departments Phone Number E-mailadress
Audiovisual productions 023 799 78 28
Central arrangements Buma 023 799 79 99
Collection arrangements Buma 023 799 79 99
Digital 023 799 78 58
In-house productions 023 799 78 28
Stages 023 799 78 01
Radio and Television 023 799 79 99
Copyright and Related Rights Service Center 020 700 90 99

If your complaint is still not resolved

If you also disagree with the solution, then you can contact our management, or the Copyright Disputes Committee. This is an independent committee that handles complaints about amounts charged by BumaStemra. It is important that you submit your complaint to the Disputes Committee within three months of the recent decision.

Any other complaints that you don’t feel are resolved to your satisfaction can be submitted to our management. They will review your case and then make a decision. Resubmit your complaint to within a month of our original response. If you prefer to send your complaint by post, please use this address:

Attn. Management
Postbus 3080
2130 KB Hoofddorp