How does it work if I want to record my music on a DVD or CD?

The Stemra division of BumaStemra handles the reproduction and recording of music. If you want to record music on image or sound carriers such as DVDs or CDs, then you need permission from Stemra. Recording media creators include record companies, importers, broadcasters, background music suppliers and advertising agencies. Organisations that create promotional materials on CD or DVD also pay a fee. The higher the commercial value, the higher the payment made to the composers, songwriters and publishers of the music used. Commercial value is based on things like print runs and size of distribution.